Understanding the neurobiology of complex trauma: Building a framework for effective practice in the protection, education, placement and support of children and young people.
Abuse related trauma has a significant impact on the developing brain. It results in children experiencing significant difficulties regulating their emotions, adapting their behaviour and being attuned to social exchanges. Without a focus on the traumagenic impact of abuse on children’s development, protective intervention and placement in out of home care often fail to assist children restore a sense of safety and control. Integrating systems of protection, placement and therapeutic intervention can provide traumatised children with consistency, nurturance and predictability.
This two day seminar will explore the most recent research on the impact of abuse related trauma on brain development, provide a framework for understanding the consequences of abuse for a child’s cognitive, social and emotional functioning and explore implications for practice. Participants will explore specific and practical strategies for promoting recovery for children and young people who have experienced chronic traumatisation. We focus on the domains of Integration: Vertical, Horizontal, Regulation, Relational, Memory, Narrative and Systems.
This workshop is the recommended or prerequisite course for all other seminars facilitated by the Australian Childhood Foundation.
- Develop an understanding of brain development through childhood and adolescence.
- Understand the way that trauma affects children’s brain architecture and functioning.
- Identify ways that trauma shapes children’s memory states and their emotional experiences.
- Develop creative approaches to enable children to communicate and process their experiences of trauma.
- Build an approach that resources change across settings through care and support teams.
- Identify evidence based practice strategies for working with children who have experienced trauma and their families.
Standard cost: $430 (GST inclusive) online $410
Earlybird cost: $390 (GST inclusive) online $370
Discounts apply to online registrations which will be processed by credit card only. If you require an alternative payment method please download the relevant registration form from below:
2015 flyer and registration form
2015 Tennant Creek registration form - please note this is a one day condensed seminar