Therapeutic Specialist - Gippsland
- Make a difference in the lives of children
- Competitive salary and excellent benefits package including, vehicle, phone, tablet and salary packaging
- Sale location – part time role available
The Navigator Program (Navigator) is a Department of Education and Training (Department) initiative that provides intensive case management and assertive outreach support to young people who have disengaged from education. The service is delivered by community agencies that work closely with local schools and Area teams to support young persons aged 12 – 17 to re-engage back into education. The Navigator program is being established for the first time in Outer Gippsland in 2020.
The Navigator Program Outer Gippsland is a partnership between Uniting, Gippsland and East Gippsland Aboriginal Co-operative (GEGAC) and Australian Childhood Foundation (ACF). The program will utilise a trauma informed, culturally safe assertive case management model to respond to challenges experienced by young people aged 12 – 17 years with the goal of re-engaging students in education. The model includes trauma informed comprehensive assessments, case management and active hold services and training and development for school staff. The Navigator team will consist of 3.5 FTE Navigator Case Managers from Uniting and VACCA, and an ACF Educational Therapeutic Specialist (0.5 FTE).
The ACF Educational Therapeutic Specialist plays a key role in providing educational needs assessments (ENA’s) for young people referred to the program, developing recommendations and plans to support their re-engagement into education. Trauma Informed Classroom Coaching will also be provided into schools to support educators to create safe and nurturing therapeutic learning environments for young people who find it challenging to engage in school settings. This will include supporting the implementation and embedding of recommendations made in Educational Needs Assessments for specific young people. From time to time, where clinically indicated, the Educational Therapeutic Specialist will also hold a small caseload of young people requiring short term individual counselling that supports their re-entry into formal education.
ACF currently has an exciting vacancy for a Therapeutic Specialist based in Sale and undertaking regular outreach to outer Gippsland. This role is an ongoing part time position available 3 days per week. In this role you will be vital in providing educational needs assessments (ENA’s) ) for young people referred to the program, developing recommendations and plans to support their re-engagement into education. Trauma Informed Classroom Coaching will also be provided into schools to support educators to create safe and nurturing therapeutic learning environments for young people who find it challenging to engage in school settings. This will include supporting the implementation and embedding of recommendations made in Educational Needs Assessments for specific young people.
Your primary responsibilities:
- Undertake Educational Needs Assessments for designated young people referred in to the program.
- Provide recommendations to support trauma-informed classrooms and care environments that support young peoples learning needs.
- Provide Trauma Informed Classroom Coaching into designated schools.
- Provide therapeutic advice to families, carers and professionals as required.
- Provide therapeutic leadership in the implementation of the program including assessment procedures, needs identification, risk assessment, practice guidelines, case documentation and transition planning.
- Provide secondary consultation concerning the needs of the young people referred to the program to all members of the young person’s network as appropriate.
- Promote the rights of children and young people to safety and security at an individual case practice level.
About you – Key Selection Criteria:
- An appropriate tertiary qualification in Psychology, Social Work or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated knowledge of trauma, attachment and neurobiology frameworks and theories.
- Knowledge of and expertise in delivering a range of appropriate therapeutic interventions to children, young people and their families.
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate effectively and positively within a team environment.
- Highly developed ability to provide secondary consultation and advice to clinicians and other professionals.
- Demonstrated commitment to working collaboratively, maintain effective relationships and partnerships, and the capacity to negotiate and liaise with individuals who make up the network of support around children and young people, including their families, carers, Department of Education, child protection, other agencies and the community.
- A current driver’s licence and Working with Children Check or equivalent.
Remuneration & Benefits:
This position attracts a competitive base salary + vehicle + phone + tablet + superannuation + salary packaging. The salary is determined on the basis of the employee’s experience and qualifications. In joining a strong, values based organisation, you will also have access to:
- A generous annual Professional Development allowance
- Employee Assistance Program
To apply for this position please forward a copy of your current resume along with a cover letter addressing each of the “About You” criteria (listed above) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or for more information about the role or to request a copy of the position description, please email email@example.com
Applications will be assessed and continued until the right candidates are sought, no close date will be issued, if you are interested please apply as soon as practicable.
Australian Childhood Foundation (ACF) is committed to protecting children and young people from harm. We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment.
ACF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with cultural and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and people with a disability are encouraged to apply.
Can't find what you're looking for?
We’d still love to hear from you!
Please fill out the form below and if we have a suitable position available we will let you know!