For Kinship Carers
What is this training about?
This practical workshop provides participants with skills and knowledge to facilitate a BUGK parenting group for kinship carers. It provides participants with everything they need to know about this version of BUGK as well all access to the manual, handouts and other resources.
The training includes access to the Bringing Up Great Kids for Kinship Carers manual, relevant worksheets, tools, activities and resources within the registration cost of the workshop.
This training is suitable for all professionals who have completed Foundational Bringing Up Great Kids – Facilitator Training and who provide a parenting program that sensitively supports kinship carers and the children they look after.
Please note that the prerequisite for this training is successful completion of Foundational Bringing Up Great Kids – Facilitator Training.
What will you learn?
By attending this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand how to use this tailored version of BUGK to support kinship carers with their specific needs
- Know how to differentiate the parenting dynamics relevant to kinship carers
- recognise the particular challenges in running a parent group for kinship carers
- develop your own facilitation style with this cohort
- confidently use the BUGK resources and materials in your BUGK kinship carers group
What difference will this make to your practice?
Kinship carers have a range of needs in relation to their circumstances. In research, they consistently express that they feel
- Grief and loss of their hopes and dreams/grandparent role/retirement freedom
- Unsupported by government and agencies, particularly in regard to their need for respite, practical help, counselling and contact with other carers
- Anger /sense of injustice in regard to lack of recognition and financial support
- Shame/stigma/feeling that they had failed their own children
- Reluctance to engage with agency or government assistance
- The impact of additional financial burden
- The consequences of health issues related particularly to ageing, social isolation and family stress
- Out of their depth with the behaviours of traumatised children and adolescence.
The workshop will provide you with all of the skills and knowledge about how to respond to these needs using the tailored tools, resources and activities that have been developed for this program.
Lots of practical knowledge….. I left with so many good ideas to use with clients!Jindee, Counsellor
Enhanced my understanding of practical applications of movement, spatial awareness, posture etc.Sally, Youth Worker
Skills and strategies linked with the how and the why...I left the day feeling more energised than when I arrived, feeling motivated and excited to share this knowledge with my team and peers.Alyson, Coordinator